Creating Your Own Personal Style

21 Mar

One of the things I love most about fashion is that it’s subjective. Yes, there are seasonal trends, the colors and silhouettes that are oh so haute, but trends don’t work for every body or budget. Personal style allows each of us the ability to build looks around trends while including on our own likes, needs and wants. And when we can’t find what we want, we can create it.

Begin by choosing a textile you love.

Then, pick a pattern that will suite the fabric, your body type and your sewing ability.

In order to make a basic pattern my own design I added detail through front fringe alongside decorative stitching and used the “wrong” side of the woven textile at the arm hole, center front bodice and belt.

Styled with layers of gold toned bracelets,

some fab earrings

and completed with a pair of two-tone strappy heels and I’m ready to step in spring.

Dress :: Hand-made by me

Bracelets ::  D&G @ Haute Look, Marcel Drucker @ Property Room

Earrings ::  @ Plenty Boutique

Shoes  ::  Kenneth Cole Reaction @ TJ Maxx

Easy & Affordable Style for  ::   $240

6 Responses to “Creating Your Own Personal Style”

1. Sara Smelt March 21, 2012 at 8:46 am #

I love this dress! how talented you are. The color, the texture, the design – fabulous! The way you have used both sides of the fabric in your design is very effective and so imaginative! I’m loving this blog!

• Paula Parisotto March 21, 2012 at 8:59 am #

The fact that the fabric was woven and not printed made it easy to create great detail in the dress. It was a fun garment to design. I so appreciate your enthusiasm and love of my blog Sara. Thanks a bunch!

2. Anonymous March 21, 2012 at 8:38 am #

LOVE that you made your dress! It is beautiful! Thanks for mentioning Plenty again!!! We love your blog and your personal style!!!! Jules

• Paula Parisotto March 21, 2012 at 8:51 am #

Thanks for the compliments Jules! I LOVE Plenty and will visit often!

3. Bunny DeLorie March 21, 2012 at 5:33 am #

What a gorgeous dress! Love the colors…..When ever do you have time to sew!
    You should enter your fashion designs on that new FASHION show – SAX 5th AVE is sure to make a “BUY”!

• Paula Parisotto March 21, 2012 at 7:56 am #

I saw the fabric and had to make something out of it. It’s even prettier in person….vibrant and silky! As part of one of my degrees I’ve had two garment construction classes. Dettamoda Garment Designs? Hmmm, perhaps it’s in my future :)